Croakey is closed for summer holidays and will resume publishing in the week of 9 January 2023. In the meantime, we are re-publishing some of our top articles from 2022.
This article was first published on Monday, November 14, 2022.
The convention, titled ‘It’s time to change the conversation’, brought together people with lived and living experience, clinicians, services providers, law and justice practitioners and policymakers, to address the stigma that affects access to treatment and care.
The Rethink Addiction campaign is headed by psychiatrist Professor Dan Lubman, who is Executive Clinical Director of the Turning Point and Professor of Addiction Studies and Services at Monash University and Director of the Monash Addiction Research Centre.
The report covers:
- How the system is rigged against people with addictions
- Privileging the voices of people with lived experiences of addiction
- Jasmin’s story shows how legal and health systems fail people with addictions
- Australian politicians urged to find the political courage to reform alcohol and drug laws
- Culture and community: supporting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in recovery from addiction
- “This conference is different – so many tears.” Reflections on Rethink Addiction
Read more about the Croakey Conference News Service.