The impact of COVID-19 on palliative care, the need to address inequity of access for marginalised people such as the homeless, and ensuring palliative care is not an “eleventh hour” option, were just some of the themes at the 2021 Oceanic Palliative Care Conference.
One thousand delegates from Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific, Canada, Africa and the United Kingdom came together for the four-day virtual gathering, which included sessions covering clinical, paediatric, aged, and holistic care and the impact of the pandemic.
CroakeyVOICES Cate Carrigan took up some key themes with a range of speakers and presenters offering their innovative solutions and ideas for the future:
- Dr Naheed Dosani. Canadian palliative care physician and health justice advocate. Founder of the Palliative Education and Care for the Homeless (PEACH) program in Toronto, Canada. http://www.icha-toronto.ca/programs/peach-palliative-education-and-care-for-the-homeless
- Professor Meera Agar, chair of Palliative Care Australia. Professor of Palliative Medicine at the University of Technology Sydney
- Margaret O’Connor. Emeritus Professor of Nursing and Midwifery at Monash University
- Michelle Wood – Executive Officer – Banksia Palliative Care Service Victoria
- Maddison Naulty. Health promotions officer South Western Sydney Local Health District. https://www.thegroundswellproject.com/creative-legacy
- The song “His Way” used with permission of Creative Legacy Project artist Krishna Umali.
- Simon Waring – Palliative Care Australia consumer panel member. https://palliativecare.org.au/simon-waring
- Melissa Reader – Managing Director and CEO, The Violet Initiative. https://www.linkedin.com/company/violetinitiative/?originalSubdomain=au
- Helen Callanan – Death doula and doula trainer. https://preparingtheway.com.au/
- Judy Hollingworth – Former Chair of MVP4P, and a Spiritual Care Practitioner – Manning Valley Push for Palliative, NSW
- Dr Hsien Seow – Canada Research Chair in Palliative Care and Health System Innovation. podcast https://www.waitingroomrevolution.com/
This podcast is part of Croakey Conference News Service coverage of the #21OPCC
Contact CroakeyVoices via: Email: email@example.com Twitter: @croakeyvoices @CateeC