Croakey is closed for summer holidays and will resume publishing in the week of 10 January 2022. In the meantime, we are re-publishing some of our top articles from 2021.
This article was first published on Tuesday, September 21, 2021
The impact of COVID-19 on palliative care, the need to address inequity of access for marginalised people such as those who are homeless or seeking asylum, and ensuring palliative care is not an “eleventh hour” option were just some of the themes at the 2021 Oceanic Palliative Care Conference.
More than 1,000 delegates and presenters from Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific, Canada, Africa and the United Kingdom came together for the four-day virtual gathering, which included sessions covering clinical, paediatric, aged and holistic care, and COVID-19.
CroakeyVOICES journalist and broadcaster Cate Carrigan took up some key themes with a range of OPCC speakers and presenters offering their innovative solutions, calls to action, and ideas for the future:
- Dr Naheed Dosani: Canadian palliative care physician and health justice advocate. Founder of the Palliative Education and Care for the Homeless (PEACH) program in Toronto, Canada.
- Margaret O’Connor: Emeritus Professor of Nursing and Midwifery at Monash University.
- Michelle Wood: Executive Officer – Banksia Palliative Care Service Victoria.
- Maddison Naulty: Health promotions officer South Western Sydney Local Health District, working on the Groundswell Program.
- Simon Waring: Palliative Care Australia consumer panel member.
- Melissa Reader: Managing Director and CEO, The Violet Initiative.
- Helen Callanan: Death doula and doula trainer.
- Judy Hollingworth: Former Chair of the Manning Valley Push for Palliative (MVP4P), and a Spiritual Care Practitioner.
- Dr Hsien Seow: Canada Research Chair in Palliative Care and Health System Innovation, co-host of the Waiting Room Revolution podcast.
- Professor Meera Agar: Chair of Palliative Care Australia, Professor of Palliative Medicine at the University of Technology Sydney.
- The song “His Way” used with permission of Creative Legacy Project artist Krishna Umali.
Contact CroakeyVoices via: