Croakey is closed for summer holidays and will resume publishing in the week of 9 January 2023. In the meantime, we are re-publishing some of our top articles from 2022.
This article was first published on Wednesday, July 6, 2022.
Thank you to everyone who contributed to, supported and engaged with Croakey’s coverage of the recent Federal election.
In the six months leading up to the election, we published 94 election-related articles from 65 contributors.
These put a sustained focus on key health equity issues, including the climate crisis, the health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, health reform, social determinants of health, media-related issues, COVID, the health and aged care workforce, housing, aged care, integrity in government, the Uluru Statement from the Heart, primary healthcare, justice-related concerns, mental health and the health of LGBTIQ communities. We also covered the implications for health of the rise of Independent candidates.
We hosted several special projects to provide accountability reporting of the Coalition Government’s health outcomes, and health-related election policies advanced by the major parties, the Greens and various Independents. These included:
- The Election Wrap – seven columns, by Associate Professor Lesley Russell and Jennifer Doggett, with contributions by Dr Melissa Sweet, Alison Barrett and Dr Anny Huang
- The #AusVotesHealth2022 election report card – compiled by Associate Professor Lesley Russell; designed by Mitchell Ward.
- The Accountability report – compiled by Associate Professor Lesley Russell, with contributions by Dr Anny Huang; designed by Mitchell Ward.
On Twitter, we curated a high-impact Twitter stream at #AusVotesHealth2022, with 1,529 accounts participating at the hashtag, sending a total of 5,087 tweets and with 47 million potential impacts. We are sharing this analysis of this hashtag with our readers, in the hope you might find it useful.
We also convened five webinars, to provide a platform for our communities to connect and exchange news and views, and to inform our journalism.
Please read and share these related reports
- An overview of Croakey Health Media’s election coverage – with a shout out to contributors
- An infographic about our election coverage (as below)
- A Tweetbinder analysis of the #AusVotesHealth2022 hashtag.