Croakey Health Media is a not-for-profit public interest journalism organisation with a focus on health equity, the wider determinants of health and health in all policies.
Below are 15 suggestions for how to engage with Croakey Health Media – and ensure an ongoing focus on #HealthEquityMatters.
1. Independent coverage of your conference/event
The Croakey Conference News Service provides skilled, editorially independent multimedia reporting of conferences and other events that are likely to be of interest or use to Croakey readers. The service is funded by conference organisers or other third parties, but editorial responsibility rests with the Croakey team.
This news service helps support knowledge dissemination and to amplify the impact and reach of conferences. Proposals are tailored and can include:
- Live tweeting
- Online news reports, published before, during and after the conference or event
- Follow-up interactive e-publications compiling all coverage.
You will find a detailed summary of our past conferences here.
2. Subscribe to our weekly bulletin
The weekly Croakey News bulletin is a convenient way to stay up to date with our articles and other activities. It is only $80 per year (including GST). We also offer special rates for bulk deals – for example, for organisations or students. Subscribe here.
In line with our mission to support health equity, the articles published on our homepage are freely available.
3. Join a collective of health equity champions
The Croakey Health Media Funding Consortium helps to pay for our operating costs, including payments to the editorial team, who commission, write, edit and publish articles and also support special projects.
Four levels of membership are offered, each with benefits.
4. Tell your story, your way
We offer a limited number of opportunities to publish sponsored articles at Croakey.org, from organisations that align with Croakey’s mission.
These are clearly marked as sponsored content, and distinguished from our editorial content. The articles may be written by Croakey’s experienced team of journalists and editors or submitted by the sponsoring organisation.
- A series sponsored by the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care
- A series on Indigenous knowledge translation sponsored by the Lowitja Institute.
5. Advertise to our influential audiences
By advertising with Croakey, you or your organisation can reach our informed, influential audiences.
Advertising is available:
- On our website
- In our weekly email news bulletin (reaching hundreds of leading health organisations and most Australian MPs)
- Via Twitter and other social media channels. Followers include national and global health leaders.
6. Pitch in
It is a tough operating environment for independent media. Every donation helps! No amount is too small to make a difference.
You can choose to make a one-off donation or become a regular donor. Please donate here.
7. Use Croakey Professional Services
Croakey Professional Services is our commercial arm. It provides a range of services for our communities, and also raises funds to support our public interest journalism activities. For more information, please contact: email@example.com
- Workshops on writing, social media, research translation and advocacy
- Special projects.
Examples of Croakey Professional Services projects include:
- A year-long campaign supporting the 25-year anniversary of the Congress of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nurses and Midwives. See here.
- Writing and editing services for a book, ‘Minum Barreng: The Story of the Indigenous Eye Health Unit’, published by Melbourne University Press in 2022. See here.
8. Find out about tailored packages for researchers
Croakey Health Media offers tailored packages to support researchers and research organisations.
These packages can offer services under two categories: independent public interest journalism and Croakey Professional Services.
These services can assist with:
- Research dissemination and impact
- Skills development
- Developing collaborations and partnerships
- Demonstrating leadership
- Creating change.
For further information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Climate and health matters
Croakey has a long history of covering climate and health matters, but there is so much more we could do, and that needs covering.
Please consider registering at our Patreon account that supports public interest journalism on the climate crisis and health – it’s an easy way to support us through regular donations. Every dollar helps. See our climate and health coverage.
10. Sponsor Croakey journalism events
We are seeking sponsorship for Croakey journalism events. These include:
CroakeyLIVE – webinars that are organised as a platform for journalism. See, for example, these articles arising from such events:
- Big Tech captives or citizens in healthy digital ecosystems? Making the transformation…
- On the United States election and global health, some insights into the challenges ahead
- As we face systems collapse, heed these calls to “make your vote count”
CroakeyGO – walking journalism that convenes around place-based conversations and topics. CroakeyGO events can be held in person, or online. See examples of articles arising from such events:
- An online event investigating #GamblingHarms, sponsored by the Alliance for Gambling Reform
- A place-based investigation of heatwaves and health, sponsored by community health service provider, IPC Health, with funding from the Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation.
For more information, please contact: email@example.com
11. Leave a legacy
You may wish to consider leaving a bequest to Croakey Health Media, to help safeguard the roles of health-focused public interest journalism into the future. Find out more about the options here.
12. Share our news
To achieve our vision – a vigorous and sustainable public interest journalism sector contributing to the health and wellbeing of people, families, communities, policies, societies and the environment – we rely on our readers and social media followers to help share our news. Please share Croakey articles on all your socials.
13. Advocate for media policy reform
Public interest journalism is in crisis, with alarming implications for individual, community, societal and planetary health. Public interest journalism has a vital role in scrutinising and holding to account governments, industries and other powerful interests that shape health. Just think of the advances in public health from tobacco control to the regulation of environmental hazards such as asbestos. Public interest journalism is also important for research and knowledge translation and improving policy.
Recognising the importance of public interest journalism for the health of communities and democracy, Croakey Health Media engages in media policy debates through making submissions and reporting on public interest journalism matters as an important determinant of health.
See some of our recent submissions here.
14. Feel good
We offer a range of Croakey merchandise – T-shirts, cups, leggings, caps and more. Check out the range, featuring health equity messages.
Show your support! Wear it proudly.
15. Collaborate with us on special projects
We welcome applications for individuals and organisations who would like to collaborate on crowdfunded projects, grant applications or other special projects. Contact us.
See our impact
Our editorial coverage is driven by public interest considerations rather than analytics. However, we work hard to ensure maximum impact for our work. Readership and impact details can be seen here.
We are strongly committed to editorial independence. Funders have no influence over editorial direction or content. We do not accept funding from entities that undermine public health, such as the fossil fuels, tobacco, alcohol and gambling industries.